What You Must Know Being A Defendant In Any Criminal Case
If you are under investigation for a crime or if you are arrested, you need to talk with a criminal lawyer immediately. Once you become a defendant in any criminal case, there are specific things which you should know that can have a great impact on the end result of your particular situation. If you are facing any criminal charges, then you should think about the following tips:
– Always remember to invoke your right to be silent. Make certain you do not answer inquiries concerning the alleged incident. You need not deny or admit anything that you might be being accused of. It’s your right to demand an attorney to always be present during questioning. Politely but firmly direct the investigating party to direct any questions that they will have to your criminal attorney.
– Avoid the urge to put the record straight. The trickiest strategies that investigators have is always to convince you that the only thing you must do is give your version of the events to be able to “clear things up”. Always talk to your lawyer before saying anything at all, even if you’re invited to set the record straight.
– Choose the best lawyer. When you are choosing the lawyer you’ll have a large number of choices, however you should choose one that is reputable, well-seasoned, experienced, and has already handled many criminal cases.
– Communicate with your lawyer. Your lawyer offers you good counsel and will assist you in getting through the very complex legal system. Be sure that your lawyer knows what your location is and be sure to cooperate with him as he is gathering information to construct your defense.
– Try to not complicate matters through your own efforts. If you’ve been arrested and released on bond or on your own recognizance, obey any orders of the court. Make certain you don’t get charged with other things while you are awaiting trial, even with something as seemingly minor as a traffic ticket.
– Be on time for the court appearances. Make sure that you are at least fifteen minutes early to any courthouse or other designated venue. It’s quite common for the attorney to show up a few minutes late, and judges tolerate and understand when that occurs in most instances since they were once lawyers themselves and understand that attorneys frequently have to show up in more than a single place at one time. Unfortunately, the same does not hold true for the defendant, and being tardy can be considered a sign of disrespect.
– Appropriate dress is required when arriving at court. Generally, dress as you would to go to church or interview for an important job. Proper and appropriate attire shows esteem for the court. Should you be expected to appear in court in jail uniform, make certain you are well groomed, hair combed, and clean.
– You should be polite in the courtroom. By showing respect for the judge, prosecutors along with other court officials, you position yourself as a better person.
Following these suggestions will help you to get ready for a criminal case in the state of California. Your criminal lawyer will help you to prepare for anything that you will need to deal with as being a criminal defendant and will answer any queries that you are likely to have.…